I literally do not understand skipping breakfast. I shut down mentally and the day is off to a hangry (hunger mixed with anger - anyone?) start. Some mornings I sit down in my kitchen, but most days I am eating in the car on the way to work or once I sit down at work to do my morning email scroll.
My weekday breakfast rotation is greatly helped by a Sunday afternoon meal prep which normally includes hard boiling 4-6 eggs to keep in the fridge for the week. I stock up on yogurts, put breakfast cereal in snack sized ziplocks in the fridge next to yogurt, and slice up fruit and keep in the fridge. I keep a jar of peanut butter at work so I can get protein with a piece of fruit or toast if I just grab an apple or banana with a slice of bread. Overnight oatmeal is a fun breakfast if I it prepare the night before. I will post on my overnight oats the next time I make it. Smoothies also make themselves into the mix, but I need to have enough time to prepare and clean up, so they are sprinkled a bit more rarely into my rotation.
I try to make my next day lunch when I'm cleaning up the kitchen from dinner and packing it all up so it is taken care of in that moment. Preparation my friends.
The hard boiled egg piece has gotten much better with time. My personal method is as follows -
- Use older eggs (not straight from the market), they peel easier.
- Put eggs in pot covered with room temp water and bring pot to a boil.
- Remove pot from heat, cover with lid, and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Have colander ready with some ice and with slotted spoon. Remove eggs and put in colander with ice water running over eggs sitting atop the ice.
- Clean up kitchen and then place eggs in bowl in fridge, peeling before eating.
Images via My Pinterest.