10.30.2013

Recipe - roasted tomato soup

The ladies I work with and share an office (there are three of us in a room) love soup as much as I do.  I have been hyping up my soup game but have not brought in anything as I've promised.  Until today. Last night I made a version of smitten kitchen's roasted tomato soup.  It was good, I could make some tweaks I think to make it even better.  See the recipe below with my tweaks.  I served it with shredded mozzarella cheese on top and a slice of Asiago peppercorn bread from Trader Joe's.



My version of roasted tomato soup -

3.5 pounds roma tomatoes, sliced down the middle
6 garlic cloves, unpeeled
2 T olive oil
salt and pepper
1/8 t roasted red pepper flakes
1/4 t dried thyme
4 c vegetable stock


Preheat oven to 250, place tomatoes face up on sheet and roast for 2 hours. Take garlic and wrap tightly in tinfoil, put on sheet with tomatoes. Drizzle tomatoes with olive oil and heave seasoning of salt and pepper.

Pour veggie stock in pot with red pepper flakes and thyme. Once tomatoes are done, remove with tongs from sheet along with garlic cloves (peeled) to blender or food processor and plush one-two times so they are still course. Add mixture to broth in pot, bring to boil and then simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.

This soup is MUCH better the next day, making this a day ahead would be ideal.

Image via smitten kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment