11.10.2011

Black bean and pumpkin soup

I love soup.  It is (can be) healthy.  It gets better with time.  You can pretty much throw anything in the pot you like.  The ingredients can be very cheap.  My kind of cooking.

But I have a block with dried beans.  Heidi and Molly (and others) say they're so much better.  But the soaking and the draining seemed so tedious.  I know I'm being high maintenance here.  Well not only are they cheaper, have less sodium, but these beans DO taste better when dried and coming from a bag.  Last night I made a black bean and pumpkin soup.  I even soaked the beans overnight on Saturday, drained them and didn't use them until Monday night.  I'm not sure how advised that is.  But I did it and it was fine/tasted delish.

 
Black Bean Pumpkin Soup

1 medium white onion, chopped
2 oz olive oil
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
2 carrots, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1 can (12 oz) Corona
1 16 oz dried black beans (soaked overnight) OR canned equivalent (drained and rinsed)
6 cups chicken stock
1 16 oz. pureed pumpkin
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp smoked sweet paprika
1 cinnamon stick
S&P

Heat olive oil in dutch oven/large pot, add onion and saute 10 minutes until soft and slightly browned.  Add the jalapeno and carrots to pot and mix for additional 5 minutes.  Add salt to taste.  Add beer to deglaze pan with spices called for and garlic.  Mix and wait 1-2 minutes.  Add pumpkin and incorporate, then adding 4 cups of chicken stock.  Bring to a simmer and add black beans.  Bring pot to low simmer, uncovered for 1 hour, tasting and adding S&P as necessary.  Add remaining chicken stock as needed because beans will absorb plenty of liquid.  If the beans are still not completely cooked, that's fine, but keep on stove simmering for another 30 minutes until tender.  Use immersion blender to puree half of soup, I eyed it.  You can also take half and put in a regular blender and puree.  Make sure it is cool enough so it does not splatter.

I then let it cool and put in the fridge.  It was dinner last night with some Texas Pete, crumbled tortilla chips, and a lil sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment