11.08.2011

Finding my spots

Wherever one lives they need to have "their spots."  The perfect place to get a cup of coffee, sit, and people watch.  A good dry cleaners.  A go-to weeknight dinner place.  A weekend brunch locale to take out-of-towners.  The problem is I still sometimes feel like an out-of-towner in Miami.  I know there are gems and I love to find them, but unlike New York where you can amble around, Miami is more spread out and you go many places by car.  Thus I think it is sometimes more difficult to happen upon these places.  In my neighborhood I have found a so-so nail place, a cute Friday night date place, an adorable home goods boutique, and a good high-end second hand store.  But I have other categories yet to be filled.  The search continues.  

On Sunday I met a friend's out of town visitors while sitting out by the pool.  Still in town yesterday, I took them to run an errand in South Beach.  While one ran her errand, we sat at the place she always had breakfast with her family when in town on vacation growing up.  This was their breakfast spot.  I have such great memories growing up going to get ice cream after dinner in the summer at "our spots."  We sat and chatted, so nice to make new friends.  I was also happy I had found a breakfast/lunch spot in the beach.  News Cafe, an institution of South Beach I was not yet aware of, we sat in the shade, drinking iced cappuccinos enjoying the morning.  A spot is born. 

Image 1

No comments:

Post a Comment