1.31.2012

Weekend recap

This past weekend flew by - my dad and step mom were in town visiting for the first time in Miami.  I ran the ING Miami Half Marathon on Sunday for Team Fox.  It was the third half I have done, and was a new personal record.  We had a blast, packed a lot in but also had some good down time in between meals and activities - an overall success.  We also tryed all new places to eat and go, a bit risky but it proved to be successful, so now I have a couple great new go-tos, success #2 of the weekend.

Their flight was delayed (too much fuel in the plane, seriously) so they came in and we walked to a great place in our neighborhood, Jaguar. A Peruvian spot with delicious ceviche, tasty drinks, and a great vibe.  My dad and I had pisco sours ( I don't think I've ever had one) which will be a repeat order, I had a great shrimp dish, and my step mom and dad each ordered mahi mahi, prepared different ways.


Saturday morning we went to the Coral Gables Farmer's Market; Farmer's Markets literally give me endorphins, I am not sure why but I LOVE them.  They picked up some stone crabs to bring back to DC for a dinner on Monday, we got freshhhh squeezed grapefruit juice glasses, my dad treated himself to some 10 am pork tacos, and then they got this adorable key lime tree for our backyard.  I can't wait to harvest (aggressive) the little guys!





Then we went to Garcia's upon a a recommendation from a friend and it was a rinse-repeat for sure.  We had beers and fish sandwiches watching yachts, tug boats, and our fellow diners the entire meal (good people watching in this town).  We sat outside on the second floor deck and ate up the January Miami Saturday afternoon.  This is a great spot.



We went back and there was an every man for themselves exercise/read/have a beer period.  We then went to Cibo's Wine Bar in the Gables for some carbo-loading for me and wine drinking for others (at least this is what resulted).  I searched for an Italian restaurant near to us for dinner before the race, and I got one with the added bonus of a "wine angel." I'm being serious here.  We sit down and realize that the floor-to-ceiling glassed wine case has a svelte young lady strapped in like a rock climber (...) who could hoist herself up to get your bottle of cab. 



Sunday morning I got up at 4:30 for the 6:15 race start because it was the first time I had used public transit to get downtown and I was a little nervous about making sure I got there in time.  I enjoyed a peanut butter and banana sandwich on a whole wheat hamburger bun (probably should have shopped for breakfast) and made my way downtown.  With more than 25,000 runners from every country in Latin America, and across the world it was pretty awesome.  You run over two bridges linking Miami to Miami Beach, the course hits so many great spots and I was just enjoying myself (except mile 8 wasn't the best) and the runners.  I met my three fans at the bag collect, a go-to meeting spot, and we headed back to the Grove.


We then headed to our favorite brunch spot so far in the Gables, Chocolate Fashion.  I had to get over the name at first, but it is a tasty place.  French owned and operated, they have wonderful coffee drinks, breakfast foods and a good lunch offering.  I enjoyed the bagel-lox platter with a side of potatos lyonnaise and a latte.  I needed a little downtime so people read the Sunday Times, watched TV, and snoozed.  We then walked around the Grove and did a little shopping before we got ready for dinner and drinks on South Beach.



We started at The Tides which we just happened upon and it was a great Art Deco hotel, recently redone on Ocean Drive.  Enjoying $6 mojitos (a SoBe steal), we wandered around the lobby loving the decor and feel.  We then headed up to the Eden Roc a famous old Miami Beach hotel for dinner.  We ate at 1500 which is fabulous, we had a charming server, delicious food and wine, and the chef even came out to say hi - a great way to end a treat of a weekend!







With Tuesday upon us, reality has officially set back in.  I am excited to revisit some of these new finds and it has reinvigorated me to continue to explore this town.

No comments:

Post a Comment